tag: Mama's Ranting Now: NaNoWriMo: Day 3

Pages

Sunday, November 4, 2012

NaNoWriMo: Day 3

 
 

Today I attended the NaNoWriMo Kick Off event, met some really cool people, and met many different types of writers. Before today, I always subscribed to the idea that writing is best done in complete isolation and in a sound-proof environment hence the statement in my previous post about noise cancelling headphones.

Anyway, I packed my laptop, notebook, pens, pencils rubber bands, index cards, stapler, ruler, highlighter pen, paper clips, glue stick, scotch tape, various styles of post-it notes, a letter opener (What was I thinking?), I actually talked myself out of bringing a calculator (Big mistake, I actually needed that one.), chocolate, and my handy-dandy noise cancelling headphones. I wanted to make sure I was prepared. I'm not sure for what I was preparing, but I was prepared.

I went to the event not expecting to actually get any writing done but to meet other real life people that were crazy enough to attempt this. It was good to find out that these other Wrimos (that’s what we’re called) were not just some avatars on an on-line forum; they were real, flesh-and-bone people.

And, I did get some writing done, not as much as in the previous two days, but I had a lot of fun being around other people that were working toward the same goal. It’s a bit like when I was training for the marathons with Team in Training; there’s something about being around others that have the same goal in mind. The Wrimos even gave me this really cool sticker that I stuck on my laptop. It says, "Limitless Imagination, Dangerous Overcaffeination, Questionable Sanity." I think that it pretty much sums up the whole thing.



The surprising thing for me today was finding out that I can still write my novel with people around me that are talking, joking, laughing, and having a good time. Since this experience is supposed to be fun, why not have fun while doing it, right?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have any comments or thoughts about this post? Do you have a question? Please let me know.