tag: Mama's Ranting Now: NaNoWriMo: Day 1

Pages

Thursday, November 1, 2012

NaNoWriMo: Day 1


NaNoWriMo, or National Novel Writing Month, starts today. The program is a challenge to write a 50,000 word novel in 30 days, which averages out to be about 1,667 words per day, or 69.46 words per hour, or about 1.16 words per minute (as long as I stay awake for 24 hours). I can do this. Please pass me the coffee. This year I will actually win NaNoWriMo. And to win it, all it takes is to actually reach the 50,000 word target by the end of the month.

It's sort of like a marathon, you know, you complete a marathon, you get a medal. And since I've already completed three marathons (been there, done that), I think it's time for a new challenge. That's right, at least if I complete this challenge I can actually say that I won. I can't exactly say that I won any of the three marathons that I've completed. When you complete a marathon, you're just a finisher. When you complete NaNoWriMo, you're a winner!

The goal is to be a winner. So I've spent the past few months planning my novel, outlining, writing character sketches, acting out some of the characters, and developing a strategy. Here are a few of my ideas:

  1. I will not watch T.V. That's right, no T.V. But what if I'm running on the treadmill?
  2. Ok, no T.V. except while running on the treadmill, or unless a really good show is on, or the Netflix DVD arrives.
  3. Limited time on Facebook (whatever that means).
  4. No outside interests other than writing, or praying, or housework, or taking care of the children, or shopping, or hanging out with friends (I hope I didn't forget something).
  5. No radio, no music, no media distractions, other than enjoyable radio stations, music that I like, and interesting YouTube videos of cute puppies doing the kibble dance.
  6. I will write a minimum of 1,667 words per day.
There, that's the plan. I can't wait to see my word counter go up, up, and up. That's because I will be a wiener winner.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have any comments or thoughts about this post? Do you have a question? Please let me know.