tag: Mama's Ranting Now: Six Mile Run, Not!

Pages

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Six Mile Run, Not!

Today, for our last Saturday training run before the marathon, we were scheduled to run six miles.  Figuring that running six miles was not a big deal, expecting a lot of rain during our run, and certain that the run would be over quickly, I came prepared for a quick, easy six-mile run wearing my old, beat-up shoes, the ones that died during the twenty-mile run two weeks ago (Note to self: when a pair of running shoes dies, don’t ever wear them to run again).

Hello! Coach announced the route to us. “What? That’s over eight miles,” I exclaimed.

“Oh, it’s not over eight, you can do it,” replied our coach with a smirk.

But I had my Garmin GPS watch, and I remembered running that route on a day when we were supposed to run eight miles, and I remembered that the route was actually longer than that.

Not only was the route longer than six miles, it was longer than eight miles—by one and a half miles (thank you very much).  And if that wasn’t enough, we had to run a loop with super, steep hills, and there was no water or Gatorade at the water stop, and we didn’t come prepared for a long run, and none of us brought our gel packs for the run. (Yes, I can hear the world's smallest violin playing the world's saddest song.)

When we got back, I considered dumping Gatorade on our wickedly insane coach for psyching us out like that, but I didn’t.  He’s lucky that I’m so nice.

By the way, the run was actually 9.45 miles. Does that sound like six miles to you?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have any comments or thoughts about this post? Do you have a question? Please let me know.