tag: Mama's Ranting Now: Marathon Gear Check

Pages

Friday, April 29, 2011

Marathon Gear Check


Since in two days I'll be running the marathon, and since I'm not supposed to run for the next two days, I spent today getting my gear together for the race.  Here you see the things I'm taking; the things over which I have control.  Of course, the weather is not under my control, but I sure would like to pack some of that for the race too.  In lieu of that, I'll be praying for good weather, or good-enough weather, or not-too-bad weather, because although we've trained in all types of weather, I really, really would like to run the marathon during a nice, sunny, cool, non-rainy day. Here's the gear that I will be taking with me.

  • Running shirt with my name on the front.





  • Shorts, compression running tights, and compression socks


  • My GPS watch with heart rate monitor


  • My mp3 player with an awesome playlist, and an arm sleeve to hold it while I run


  • Running belt with my energy gels, tissues, a camera (this one is waterproof and shock proof), asthma inhaler, other emergency items, and a plastic trash bag; our coaches tell us we need to carry a trash bag to use for keeping warm, dry, or as a port-o-potty (I'm not so sure about this last use, but who am I to question this.)


  •  Throw-aways: clothes that I can wear before the race and then throw away after I warm up.  The race volunteers will pick these garments up, wash them, and donate them to a homeless shelter.


  • Body Glide; very important to avoid chaffing.

  • A very lightweight jacket, in case I get cold after I've already thrown away my throw-aways.  This jacket even folds up into a small pouch, and is water resistant.

  • Other optional items. I'll probably wear the cap, but I'm not sure about the gloves or the sunglasses.  Maybe if I wear the sunglasses, it might actually be nice and sunny during the run.  I'm thinking I might even wear sunscreen.


Oh, did I forget something? Oh, yes the most important item: my running shoes!


Tomorrow, I'll be checking in at the hotel.  I'll also be picking up the race packet at the expo and will get my race bib, timing chip, marathon shirt and other goodies.  It will be a good opportunity to shop and take a look at all the cool running stuff.  I'm so excited! The coaches tell us that we won't get much sleep the night before the race, so I plan to sleep well tonight at home.  Wish me luck.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have any comments or thoughts about this post? Do you have a question? Please let me know.