tag: Mama's Ranting Now: Living in a Spiral Galaxy

Pages

Monday, March 28, 2011

Living in a Spiral Galaxy





This astronomy fixation that Goggie is having right now has taken over our lives.  He's lugging around astronomy books like security blankets.  He takes them to tae kwon do, to the store, to music lessons, to bed, he even hides the smaller books in his coat and sneaks them into church.  Any spare time he has, he spends reading these books or drawing pictures of constellations and galaxies. For example, this is the diagram of a spiral galaxy that I mentioned in the previous post about how he couldn't find any socks.

Mom, I Can't Find Any Socks

If I want to find him, all I have to do is follow the trail of astronomy books and the space pictures he has drawn.  If that isn't enough, he has filled up our Netflix instant queue with documentaries about space. Just this evening, for fun, he was watching a special about the Moon.

In addition, for the past few months he's been begging me to add astronomy to his science curriculum, and since we're homeschooling it's actually a pretty easy thing to do.  For months, I kept resisting because he already knows enough about astronomy to teach a course on it.  Then, he found one of my homeschool catalogs and saw the following description of an astronomy course called: Exploring Creation with Astronomy:

Exploring Creation With Astronomy

Yes, you know you're a homeschooler when your children enjoy reading homeschool catalogs.  Anyway, I went ahead and ordered the course to take advantage of his interest in astronomy.  If only I could find a way for him to be as excited about math as he is about science.  Do any of you have any suggestions on how to do that?  How can I get him to beg me to add extra math to his curriculum?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have any comments or thoughts about this post? Do you have a question? Please let me know.