tag: Mama's Ranting Now: Multiplication with Regrouping

Pages

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Multiplication with Regrouping

Eight-year old Googie was having problems getting his math assignment completed.  The topic was multiplication with regrouping.  He had to multiply a three-digit number by a one-digit number, and regroup or "carry over" the tens place of the answer.  His assignment consisted of two sheets.  One sheet had 32 problems



and the other sheet had 8 word problems





He started to cry when I told him that this was his assignment.  "It's too hard, Mom."  So I decided to do something to get him to complete his assignment.  Part of the beauty of homeschooling is that we can adapt the assignment.  First, I turned this into a two-day assignment. Then, I rewrote the problems sideways on pieces of notebook paper.  This helped him to keep his digits in the right place value position. 






Next, instead of having him regroup the tens place digits of his answers above the numbers, I had him write them below.





This made all the difference.  He was able to complete the entire assignment without any incident.  Of course, it also helped that I fashioned a study carrel out of my cardboard cutting board to help him stay on task.




He really enjoyed this, but I don't think that I'll be getting my cutting board back.

Anyway, not only was he able to complete his math in a timely manner and with a good attitude, he was able to finish all his other subjects, plus he earned the privilege to watch a movie at the end of the day.  I would say that it was a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have any comments or thoughts about this post? Do you have a question? Please let me know.